We love our work especially when we were briefed by a client to undertake an audit of the Cognac category! The project included a four day trip to the stunning Cognac region and immersing ourselves in the taste (including a €200 a glass tipple!), culture, history and deeply polarised competitive set.
We can't give too much away but here's our top five of interesting facts:
1. A terrible blight devastated the Cognac region in the 1850s and reduced France’s vineyards from 300,000 hectares to 40,000.
2. The Ugni Blanc grape is now used in 90% of Cognac production.
3. 97% of cognac is exported and the US is the largest market.
4. Hip hop and cognac are incongruous bedfellows but cognac features in over 200 hip hop songs, one of the most famous being Pass The Courvoisier by Busta Rhymes and P. Diddy.
5. Henri IV Dudognon Heritage Cognac Grande Champagne is the most expensive bottle of cognac in the world, at almost two million dollars a bottle. And for that tidy sum it comes bottled in crystal, 24-karat gold dipped with sterling platinum and features 6,500 certified cut diamonds as decoration!